Thursday, August 10, 2006

Episode Seventeen: Greetings from The Old Pueblo

I'm relegated to podcasting from my local coffeehouse again, sorry about that. The ambient noise is MUCH worse than before as this joint has tile floors--a local hazzard. Apologies. I should have DSL at my Mom's house by tonight, but I wanted to get this posted before that. I'm already mighty late by previous East Coast standards.

The trip, however, was successful, and we're all here safe and sound. Though, this morning's news filled me with dread as my darling husband has to fly back to New York saturday morning.
World War IV, is what I'm hearing. WWIII was the Cold War, according to People I Trust.

Sigh...

Can't we all just get along?

Even 'Liz and Darcy?

This week, chapters 50-52!
But not before a little Rascal Flatts, who I hope will forgive me the brief use of their CARS song. In turn, I hope that you all visit either their website or iTunes and buy either the CARS soundtrack or (and?) some Rascal Flatts music. These guys are HOT! And, honestly, the movie is sweet. Both my boys loved it.

I can't apologize enough for the lousy audio on this one. Next week I'll podcast from under a blanket again if I have to. This is ridiculous. I need a studio.

Many thanks for the posters and emailers while I was on my journey. I'll tell you more about it next week. Until then, you can read some on my travel blog.

As always, Pride and Prejudice is narrated by Annie Coleman. Intro music provided by GarageBand.com which connected me with Joshua Christian’s “Chasing Hiro.”

5 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks so much for promoting my podcast (The Knitting Cook). Your show is a lot of fun -- Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite reads ever! Isn't Librivox awesome? Someone else reading to me while I knit....~sigh~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit I was surprised by your comment about World War IV. I assumed you were referring to Lebanon, or the Congo or Rwanda or somewhere like that, rather than the terror alert on the planes. A lot of the world has been having wars where millions have been killed and we haven't taken much notice of it in the western world!

    But, apart from that, I'm still enjoying your podcast. I have Mr Darcy (Colin Firth) as my screensaver at work (where I listen to podcasts if no one else is around!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Daisy!
    Give Colin a smile for me!

    I totally agree with you, that we only pay attention to wars when they affect us. I visited the Carter Center in the early 90s and was shocked to find that there were 72 separate "wars" happening that particular day, being tracked by the center. We do a lousy job of international reporting. Not one of those conflicts had been on the news.

    I think the WWIV moniker comes out of the "world" part. Rwanda, horrible and evil as the conflict was, didn't affect many people outside it's borders.

    The Cold War, however, impacted everyone on the planet. Slowly all the markets became tied together and those markets were dictated by the "for us or against us" attitudes the Cold War was built on. Thus the claim that it was, in fact, World-WIII.

    The WWIV claim, as I heard it, comes from the war on terror (which I don't much like as a title). Israel, Britain, the US, Spain, Italy, Bali...the list grows...find themselves at "war" with groups that don't wear uniforms and don't "play by the rules." The groups seem to be growing--or at least spreading--and rather than following, say, Gandhi's very successful ideas, they're blowing up innocents the world over. Which doesn't do much to prepare ones' group for leadership positions they seem to be seeking in some cases, but there it is. It's a very different kind of war, but some smart tolks are saying it's the way "war" will be played out in our lifetime. And since it seems to be affecting eveyrone--or at least all the contintents--some are calllng for it to be named WWIV.

    Of course, WWI was "The Great War" until after it was over. And WWII was just "The War" until after it was over, so I'm probably premature.

    But, having lived through 9/11--and still have the cough to prove it--I guess I get mighty nervous when more plane bombers are found.

    There 'tis.

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first time I've found this podcast. I love the book and am glad to be able to hear it while doing something else! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO glad you told me who the original band was! I'd done a little searching but not enought to find them! I'm off to Google!

    Where else have you lived??? Esp. where that was violent??? I agree, it's too depressing. I know how lucky (and safe) we are here...I just hate watching everything fall apart.

    It's why I keep knitting it back together again!
    :D

    Thanks so much for posting!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete

and then you said...